Having children is one of life’s greatest joys. However, pregnancy and breastfeeding can take quite a toll on a woman’s body. Carrying a baby for 9 months and then giving birth leads to physical changes that many new mums find hard to reverse on their own. If you’re looking to get your pre-baby body back, a mummy makeover may be right for you.
What Procedures Are Included?
A mummy makeover is not one specific procedure but rather a combination of surgeries tailored to a woman’s unique postpartum concerns. Common mummy makeover surgeries include:
- Tummy tuck (abdominoplasty): This procedure removes excess skin and fat from the abdomen and tightens underlying muscles. A tummy tuck addresses concerns like loose, sagging skin or separated abdominal muscles (diastasis recti).
- Breast lift (mastopexy): Pregnancy and breastfeeding can cause breasts to lose volume and elasticity. A breast lift restores a more youthful contour by removing excess skin and reshaping breast tissue.
- Breast augmentation: Implants can increase breast size and restore fullness lost after weaning. A breast augmentation is often combined with a lift.
- Liposuction: Stubborn pockets of fat resistant to diet and exercise can be removed via liposuction. Common areas treated include the hips, flanks, thighs, arms, and neck.
- Labiaplasty: a surgical procedure that involves altering the size or shape of the labia minora or labia majora, which are the folds of skin surrounding the vaginal opening.
- Body contouring:
The specific procedures included depend on each patient’s unique wishes and anatomical needs. An experienced cosmetic surgeon will develop a customised surgical plan during your initial consultation.
Who Is a Good Candidate?
Mothers who wish to restore their pre-pregnancy bodies are often excellent candidates for a mummy makeover. The procedures can benefit women with the following concerns:
- Loose abdominal skin or separated abdominal muscles
- Sagging, deflated-looking breasts
- Excess fat unresponsive to exercise and healthy eating
- Stretch marks, especially on the breasts, abdomen, and thighs
Ideal candidates are women who are finished having children. Pregnancy can reverse many benefits of a mummy makeover. It’s recommended to wait at least 6 months after giving birth to allow hormones to normalise. Being in a stable weight range is also important. Significant future weight fluctuations can compromise results.
What Is the Recovery Like?
Recovery time varies based on the precise procedures performed. Combining multiple surgeries does extend the initial recovery period. However, many women prefer undergoing procedures together rather than spacing out treatments.
You can expect:
- 1-2 weeks off work and normal activity
- Soreness, swelling, and bruising gradually improving over weeks
- Wearing a compression garment to minimise swelling
- Avoiding strenuous exercise and heavy lifting for 4-6 weeks
- Numbness gradually diminishing over several months
Most women can resume light activity after 2-3 weeks. More strenuous exercise, sex, and heavy lifting require 4-6 full weeks of healing. Complete results become visible after several months once swelling fully resolves.
What Are the Benefits?
The benefits a mummy makeover offers go beyond just aesthetic improvements alone. Restoring your body can rejuvenate your self-confidence and body image. Many women experience improved:
- Self-esteem and confidence in their appearance
- Comfort in clothing and undergarments
- Motivation to eat healthy and exercise
- Interest in intimacy with their partner
- Overall quality of life
Enhancing your body can empower you to feel like yourself again. The procedures help you defy stubborn effects of pregnancy and aging. Most importantly, the benefits are long-lasting when procedures are performed by an expert cosmetic surgeon.
How much does a mummy makeover cost?
The total cost depends on which specific procedures you require. Book a consultation to get an idea on exact costs.
How long do results last?
When performed expertly, results from procedures like tummy tucks, lifts, and augmentations can last years or even decades. Maintaining a stable weight is key.
Can I get a mummy makeover after a C-section?
Yes, a mummy makeover is very compatible with C-section. Any scarring will simply be incorporated into the procedures.
When can I resume exercise after a mummy makeover?
Light exercise can restart after 2-3 weeks. More intense exercise requires 4-6 full weeks for adequate healing.
Do I need someone to help me during recovery?
Having help around the house is recommended for at least the first 72 hours. Assistance with childcare, meals, and pet care can make recovery much smoother.